The guide below walks you through creating customized packs of independent-practice activities on Quill.
📊 If you have assigned a diagnostic and need to assign recommended practice based on student results, please access this guide instead.
Table of contents:
Accessing the Activity Library on Quill
1. Access our library of activities by clicking on Explore activities in our activity library.
2. Once you're in the Activity Library, filter for "Independent" activities. These are activities that students can complete on their own:
You can sort these independent activities based on Quill tool type by clicking on the drop-down menu underneath "Independent Activity" practice.
⭐ Independent: Reading Texts (Quill Reading for Evidence)
Recommended for students in grades 8th-12th.
Our new Quill Reading for Evidence activities have students read a nonfiction text and build their comprehension through writing prompts, supporting a series of claims with evidence sourced from the text.
⭐ Independent: Language Skills
Recommended for students in grades 4th - 12th.
Quill Connect activities help your students advance from writing fragments and run-ons to composing complex, well-structured sentences by combining sentences.
Quill Grammar has over 150 sentence writing activities to help your students practice basic grammar skills, from comma placement to parallel structure.
Quill Proofreader activities teach your students editing skills by having them proofread passages; they edit passages with errors and receive personalized exercises based on their results.
You can also filter by grade levels, CCSS, or concepts:
3. Preview activities by clicking the Preview icon - this will allow you to navigate the activity as a student, read the prompts, and even input responses to see the feedback students will receive!
4. Select the activities you'd like to add to your activity pack by checking the box next to the activity. Selected activities will be highlighted in green:
5. Once you've selected the activities you would like to assign, click the green "Assign" button in the top right hand corner of the screen. The assignment process has three steps:
Name your activity pack (tip: how to name your assignments)
Select a publish date and time (right away to assign the activity right now or select a date/time to schedule for later), optional due date and time, and check the previously assigned column to see if the activities selected have been previously assigned to your students:
Select the classes and/or students you'd like to assign the pack to. You can also assign it only to specific students in the class instead of the entire class by clicking the dropdown menu and unselecting "All students."
6. Click "Assign pack to classes" on the top right of your screen and students will receive the activities on their Quill dashboards!
Frequently Asked Questions
How do students access the assigned activity pack?
Students will log in to their Quill dashboards to access the activities - click here to learn more.
Are there pre-made activity packs I can assign to my classes?
We have pre-made activity packs that cover a wide range of topics. Check out how to assign these pre-made packs here.
My students completed a diagnostic and I'm looking to assign the recommended packs, not create new ones. How do I assign packs based on their results?
Diagnostic-recommended packs should be assigned from the diagnostic report. Click here to find out how to access the diagnostic report and practice recommendations.
Have more questions?
Please feel free to live chat with us through the green message bubble on the bottom right corner of the screen or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.