Quill allows you to create customized packs of activities or assign featured (pre-made) activity packs that cover a variety of writing skills, concepts, and themes. There are over 800 independent-practice activities that provide students with targeted AI-powered feedback on their writing. Learn below how to find, preview, and assign independent practice on Quill.
Table of contents
Accessing the Activity Library on Quill
1. Access Quill's activity library by clicking on the Assign Activities tab and then clicking on the Explore activities in our activity library card.
2. Once in Quill's activity library, filter for independent-practice activities by clicking the box next to Independent: Language Skills, the box next to Independent: Reading Texts, or both. Checking these boxes will filter the activities that you see so that you only see independent-practice activities that students can complete on their own.
You can further filter these independent-practice activities based on the type of Quill tool by clicking on the sub-filters within the Independent: Language Skills and Independent: Reading Texts filters.
Independent: Reading Texts activities include Quill Reading for Evidence activities and are recommended for students in grades 8-12.
During Quill Reading for Evidence activities, students read a nonfiction text and build their comprehension by responding to writing prompts and supporting a series of claims with evidence sourced from the text.
Independent: Language Skills activities include Quill Connect, Quill Grammar, and Quill Proofreader activities and are recommended for students in grades 4-12.
Quill Connect activities help your students advance from writing fragments and run-ons to composing complex, well-structured sentences by combining sentences.
Quill Grammar has over 150 sentence-writing activities to help your students practice basic grammar skills, from comma placement to parallel structure.
Quill Proofreader activities teach your students editing skills by having them proofread passages; they edit passages with errors and receive personalized exercises based on their performance.
You can also filter by Grade Level Range, Readability Level, CCSS Grade Level, and Concepts.
3. Preview activities by clicking the Preview hyperlink to the right of an activity's name. This will allow you to navigate the activity as a student, read the prompts, and even submit responses to see the feedback that students could receive!
4. Select the activities you'd like to add to your activity pack by checking the boxes next to the activity names. Selected activities will be highlighted in green.
5. Once you've selected the activities you would like to assign, click the green Assign button in the top right corner of the page, after which you will see the Review and assign page.
The Review and assign page has three steps...
In the Name the assignment section, name the activity pack.
In the Review activities and pick due dates section, you have the option to set a Publish date (the date that this activity pack will show up in your students' Quill accounts), set a Due date, and in the Previously assigned column, see if any of the included activities have been assigned to any of your students before.
In the Choose classes or students section, select the classes and students to whom you would like to assign the activity pack by checking the boxes next to their names. You can assign an activity pack to only specific students in a class instead of an entire class by clicking the dropdown menu and using the All students dropdown arrow to only check the boxes next to certain students' names.
6. Click the Assign pack to classes button at the top right of the page, and the activity pack will be assigned to the selected students and classes!
Frequently Asked Questions
How do students access the assigned activity pack?
Students will log into their Quill dashboards to access the activities - click here to learn more.
Are there pre-made activity packs I can assign to my classes?
We have featured (pre-made) activity packs that cover a wide range of topics. Check out how to assign these pre-made activity packs here.
My students completed a diagnostic, and I'm looking to assign the recommended activity packs, not create new ones. How do I assign activity packs based on their diagnostic results?
Diagnostic recommended activity packs should be assigned from the Practice recommendations report. Click here to find out how to assign activities from the Practice recommendations report.
Have more questions?
Please feel free to send a message to the Quill team using the green message bubble on the bottom right corner of the screen or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.