We recommend that teachers begin by assigning a Quill Diagnostic to assess students’ writing skills. After students complete a diagnostic, Quill will create an individualized learning plan of recommended activities for each student.
Table of Contents
How to assign a Quill Diagnostic
1. Click on the Assign Activities tab on your teacher dashboard.
2. Click the Assess student writing with a diagnostic card to access the list of available diagnostics.
3. Click the Preview hyperlink to the right of a diagnostic's name to preview the diagnostic. Click the Select button for the diagnostic that you would like to assign. If this is your first time assigning a diagnostic, select a Baseline Diagnostic (Pre).
Learn more about the difference between Baseline and Growth Diagnostics here. A Growth Diagnostic is a post-test used to measure students' learning gains after completing a Baseline Diagnostic (pre-test) and their recommended plan of activities. For this reason, a Growth Diagnostic will be locked until you have assigned its corresponding Baseline Diagnostic to students.
4. After selecting a diagnostic, you will see the Review and Assign page. The three steps on this page ask you to:
a. Name the activity. The activity name field will be pre-filled with the name of the diagnostic, but you can edit it!
c. Select the classes and students to whom you would like to assign this diagnostic. The default selection is "all students". If you'd like to assign the diagnostic to specific students in this class, click the "All students" dropdown and uncheck the names of students who should not be assigned this diagnostic.
d. Click the Assign Pack to Classes button in the top right corner of the screen to assign the diagnostic.
5. Students will access the diagnostic through their Quill dashboards right away or at the scheduled date! To start the assessment, students should log into their Quill accounts. Learn more about students' accounts and login information here.
How to assign a Quill Diagnostic (Video Tutorial)
How to add students to a previously assigned Quill Diagnostic
To assign an existing diagnostic to new students, go to the My Activities tab.
Search for the activity pack containing the diagnostic that you would like to assign to new students.
After finding the activity pack containing the diagnostic, click the Add/remove students assigned button for that activity pack.
Clicking the Add/remove students assigned button will bring you a page containing rosters for each of your classes.
If the activity pack containing the diagnostic is not yet assigned to a student, the box next to the student's name will not be checked, and you will see no copy to the far right of the student's name.
To add a student to the activity pack, check the box to the left of the student's name. After checking the box next to the student's name, you will see the copy "Pack will be assigned" to the right of the student's name.
If you would like to add an entire class to the diagnostic, click the Select all button for that class.
Once you have selected all additional students or classes, click the Update students assigned to pack button on the top right of the page.
Please click here to learn more about assigning and unassigning existing activity packs to and from new students.
Access and understand Quill Diagnostic reports
To access diagnostic results and recommended practice, click on the My Reports tab at the top of your teacher dashboard. Then, click the Diagnostics sub-tab.
Use the dropdown menu to select a class and only see the diagnostics assigned to that class.
Find the diagnostic for which you would like to see data and click the respective View results and recommendations button.
On the left side of the screen, you will view a menu with a variety of class-wide and individual student data points. Click below to learn more about each report:
Class summary report - view average diagnostic proficiency results for your class
Student results report - view individual student diagnostic proficiency results (with views of whole class and individual student group proficiency results)
Practice recommendations - view and assign the activities Quill recommends based on students' diagnostic results
Student responses - view the number and percentage of skills for which students answered questions completely correctly on the diagnostic and analyze students' responses
Questions analysis - view whole class trends for each prompt in the diagnostic
Assign Quill Diagnostic practice recommendation activities
1. From the Practice recommendations report, you can view and assign students' personalized plans of diagnostic practice recommendation activities based on their diagnostic results.
2. Click here for step-by-step instructions to assign diagnostic practice recommendations.
Have more questions?
Please feel free to send a message to the Quill team using the green message bubble on the bottom right corner of the screen or email us at email@example.com.